Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Still a newbie: Zelda?

So we got out of the Staten Island Ferry and out of the terminal onto the street and there was a wild turkey, like, walking haphazardly between cars, pecking occasionally something off the sidewalk. I'm, like, look, a wild turkey. And some people whipped out their cells and snapped a couple of photos. The turkey, btw, totally cool. I'm, like, let me call 311 to report the poor animal, a car could hit it or something. And as I'm, like, listening thru the messages, waiting for an actual person to talk to, the turkey had a couple of close encounters with cars. Finally, somebody answered and I was like, I don't know if this is your kinda thing but there's a wild turkey on the street in front of the SI Ferry Terminal and I'm afraid something's gonna happen to it. After some time the operator needed to inform himself about the matter, here's what he asked:

- Is the turkey injured?
- No. Well, not yet.
- Does it attack people?
- No.
- Sir, according to the information I have, wild turkeys are native to NYC and Animal Control reacts only if the animal is hurt or attacking people.
- So, just leave it be?
- Well, yes sir.
- Oh, OK. Thank you!
- Have a nice evening.
- You too.

And as I hung up, the turkey spread the wings and flew right up the first tree in Battery Park.

Now I see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_%28turkey%29

No comments: